/ Home » The Full Collection – The Sexplained Column – Agony Aunt Blog » Genital Skin Conditions (non-STI)

Category: Genital Skin Conditions (non-STI)

Genital Skin Conditions

STD pictures, STD Information

Extra Skin Near Vaginal Opening

Extra Skin Near Vaginal Opening

I noticed a small amount of pain when my husband and I were fooling around (not during intercourse; when he touched me). Later, I felt a slight discomfort again so I looked in a mirror. That’s when I noticed what appears to be a growth or extra skin near the vaginal opening. It doesn’t seem to bother me much until I start thinking about it. Then it seems my attention is heightened. I’m not sure if something is wrong or if it’s always been there but I am more alert to it since I decided to check it out. Do you have any helpful insight? – M

Dear M

Sorry you are experiencing some pain lately but without seeing it, it is impossible to tell you what it is. You don’t say whether you have looked at yourself ‘down there’ with the aid of a mirror before but even if you have, I really think you need to let your doctor or practice nurse take a look – or, if you don’t want to see them, pop along to your local Sexual Health Clinic and see someone there.

This may be a genital wart, although they don’t usually cause pain, as such. It may be some sort of skin tag, or it may merely be normal genital anatomy that you have never really taken much notice of before.

Depending on how quickly you can be seen, it may be useful to take a clear digital picture of the area in question, just in case it changes or resolves itself and you would have something to show the healthcare practitioner. Please go and get it checked, in person, M. If it is a genital wart or even another viral skin condition that causes raised areas, such as molluscum contagiosum, there is simple treatment available.

You are absolutely correct, though. Don’t ignore a change in the colour or condition of your genital skin.




Penis Head Is Red And Smelly

Penis Head: I Have A Red And Smelly Penis

My penis head is red and inflamed when it becomes erect and my foreskin is quite tight and feels stretched when I pull it all the way back. My penis also begins to smell within a few hours of showering underneath the head. This has been a big problem for me when it comes to sexual activities and because of it, I am lacking confidence. Is there a way to treat this? – M


Dear M

Stop stressing and go and see your doctor. Explain everything to him or her and ask them to run some tests. If you haven’t had a complete sexual health screen recently, ask to do so. They may want to check you for diabetes, as well, so it’s important not to ignore this. It sounds like balanoposthitis or inflammation of the glans penis, and an imbalance of normal healthy bacteria that inhabit the prepuce or foreskin area ((and in some ways can relate to a similar imbalance that occurs as thrush or BV (bacterial vaginosis) in women)). By washing with soap or shower gel, especially if you are uncircumcised and don’t rinse properly, the chemicals in the shower gel get to intermingle with those in your smegma (the cheesy substance that forms under the foreskin to keep it moving comfortably), causing inflammation and some swelling to occur which then triggers the tightness you experience with difficulty retracting your foreskin.

Don’t delay any longer – go and get tested. And, use condoms during sexual activity, routinely – whether you like them or not at the moment – learn to like them! There are condoms to fit ALL sizes of penis!


Can you tell me what the average vagina looks like?

this is what healthy vagina looks like

Can you tell me what the average vagina looks like?


In a simple word, the answer is “no”, I can’t, because this area of a woman’s body is as unique and different, although similar, as breasts, toes, noses and faces differ but have similarities.


Furthermore, the vagina is a hidden area and a potential space, not a gaping area that’s waiting to be filled with either a baby during delivery, a penis during sexual intercourse, a tampon during menstruation, or a dildo/vibrator during masturbation.  The walls of the vagina touch each other most of the time.


What is seen on external examination is not actually the vagina, but the vulva. The vulva consists of the labia majora, labia minora, the clitoris, introitus, perineum, anus, and the surrounding area, with the mons pubis covered with pubic hair. 


Naturally, all women have pubic hair. Some have a lot, while some have less. The shaved pubic area is not a natural phenomenon but a fashion statement encouraged and promoted by the porn industry. Pornographic film directors generally want their actors and actresses to be free of pubic hair. They almost want the area to have a child-like appearance! That, of course, can suggest a question mark over a man’s – or a woman’s –  motives for preferring this appearance, rather than a natural, adult, pubic hair style. 


Pubic hair is there, for a reason. It is the vulva, and ultimately, the vagina’s natural line of defence against bacteria and viruses that it comes into contact with. It may not stop an infection, but it can help to slow it down a bit. Perhaps even long enough to be washed away during a daily shower or bath!


Indeed, when it’s shaved off, or removed by other means, folliculitis may occur – inflammation of the hair follicles, from which the hair has been stripped. It can itch, become infected, and make people worry that they’ve caught something!


The pubic hair motto, therefore – perhaps just leave well alone! 


To see a selection of normal, healthy vulvas, within which the vagina is hidden from view, click here, or navigate to The Vulva Gallery

Help! Is it thrush, is it BV? I’m itching like mad ‘down below’

thrush and bacterial vaginosis

What About Thrush?
(Also Called Yeast Infection or Candidiasis)


I heard a friend of mine talking about “thrush” recently and although she gave a thorough explanation, I would like a medical overview. Can you provide one? I mean, I’d really like to know if it’s thrush or it’s BV (bacterial vaginosis) that she’s talking about. – L


Dear L,

Rather than reinvent the wheel, so to speak, the following is an extract from my new book that covers the most commonly asked questions about thrush – and links to more information on this website, too.

It is available by mail order via www.KnoxPublishing.com in Britain and globally via iBooks and Kobo – see the links to the right of this page. 


What is genital thrush?

Genital thrush, or candidiasis, is one of several fungal or yeast infections and it is not categorised as a sexually acquired infection. Although there are approximately 150 different types of candidiasis, genital thrush is usually caused by the organism called Candida albicans, and occasionally another called Candida glabrata.
Here, the term genital thrush rather than Candida, candidiasis or yeast infection will be used. But around the world it is also called by other names. In women, it is also called vulvovaginal candidiasis (VVC).


Is genital thrush sexually acquired?


Genital thrush is not sexually acquired. Anyone can develop it, even if they have never had sex.

If the vagina is dry, it may be aggravated by penetrative sex and by internal ejaculation of particularly alkaline semen. Oral sex may increase a woman’s chance of developing genital thrush but masturbation is quite safe.


How common is genital thrush?

The majority of women will experience genital thrush at some me in their lives and many harbour it without any symptoms that require treatment.

Genital thrush is the second most common cause of abnormal vaginal discharge in women of childbearing age, the first being BV (bacterial vaginosis).


What might a women notice if she has genital thrush?

Women with genital thrush may notice one or more of the following:

• commonly there is a thick, white vaginal discharge with a curd-like consistency similar to co age cheese;

• malodour – although thrush does not usually smell, there may sometimes be a yeast-like odour (similar to dough when making bread);

• vulval and/or vaginal irritation and/or itching, which may be quite intense;

• superficial pain during sex and/or generalised erythema in the vulva (redness and soreness in the genital area); vulval rawness and redness from scratching, which may lead to an excruciatingly painful, burning sensation when passing urine;

• generalised oedema (swelling due to fluid retention), fissure formation (small skin tears) and lesions (sores) away from the initial area which may appear like a very sore “nappy rash”, perhaps even spreading to the anal area and buttocks.


There is no guarantee of a cure for any of the viral sexual infections, although there are treatments to minimise the effects.


Does the oral contraceptive pill give a woman genital thrush?

No. Not specifically.

Today’s oral contraceptive pills contain a low dose of oestrogen compared to the higher-dose pills of the past.


Is there a link between thrush and HIV infection?


There appears to be a link between HIV and recurrent genital thrush, particularly oral thrush that won’t go away. It can indicate that someone’s HIV infection on has progressed towards HIV disease or AIDS. When genital thrush is present, an inflammatory reaction occurs, causing vulnerability to further infection.


If I have genital thrush, should I have an HIV test?


You should have an HIV test if you have genital thrush.

It’s important that everyone know his or her current HIV status. If you have not been screened in the last year or since you changed sexual partner(s), it is a wise thing to do.

People who have recurrent genital thrush would be particularly wise to rule out HIV infection as an underlying reason for its recurrence.


I hope this helps, L.



For MUCH MORE information about
Candidiasis – Thrush – Yeast Infection – AND PICTURES – click here

For Information About
BV – Bacterial Vaginosis – click here


Itchy Anus After Anal Sex

After trying anal sex, my anus has been itching like crazy. At first, it was a bearable itch that occurred during mornings and nights, but has progressively worsened. I’ve been applying Vaseline® to my anus to help alleviate some of the itch, and recently I started feeling a couple of bumps or small lumps around my anus. I’m not sure if these are external haemorrhoids. Could you please kindly recommend a treatment? Thanks in advance. – R

Dear R

No, I won’t recommend a home treatment for an itchy anus after anal sex.

It wouldn’t be right, or necessarily safe for you to self-medicated without correct diagnosis first.

The only thing I will recommend is that you get this examined, pronto, by either your doctor or by someone at your local Sexual Health Clinic.

You may just have hemorrhoids (haemorrhoids), but you may have genital warts, which commonly itch and increase in number at varying speed.

Masking your symptoms with Vaseline® is also risky.

If you are continuing to have anal sex, and if you are being sensible enough to use a condom, that condom is more likely to break than if you used a water based lubricant. 

(HIV is 18 times more easily transmitted via unprotected anal sex than vaginal)

There are some other viral skin conditions that produce small bumps, too, so waste no more time and get a proper diagnosis.

Hopefully, this is easily treated and the annoying itch will disappear quite soon.

But – if it is something more serious, it is much better to know as soon as possible, so it can be treated properly and your health protected, going forwards.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear/read, but your long-term health is more important than a short-term fix!

You only have one life – protect it.


Redness On Penis Turns Into Little White Spots

Every now and then I get redness on my penis that then turns into little white spots that go away a day or two later. It doesn’t hurt, but it is unsightly. Thankfully, whenever I wash them they begin to peel away.

In the past, I have gotten outbreaks of warts down there but they’re controllable. I have a vitamin B deficiency which means my immune system is a bit shot. I don’t think it’s an STD because my partner and I have been exclusive for almost 2 years. Do you have any ideas about what it could be? – B

Dear B

I’m sorry you are having this recurrent problem. It is, though, impossible to tell what it is without seeing it.

The redness could be caused by something as simple as chafing from friction such as exercising, working out in the sun and being rather sweaty, or doing some heavy work, with which you get friction – and this can cause problems. The white spots could just be monilia (candidiasis or thrush – yeast infection) but, please, don’t guess or ignore this condition. The next time you get an outbreak, make an appointment to see your doctor or pop along to see one of the doctors or nurses at your local sexual health clinic or your family doctor

They may check to make sure you don’t have diabetes, which is presenting itself this way, and they may run some tests to rule other things out, rather than guess.

If they can see it at its worst, as strange as that may sound, it may be much more helpful than if you wash it all away and there’s not much to show them. It can also be helpful if you can take a very clear digital picture of it at its worst, to show them, if you can’t get in to see them on the same day, or if you insist on washing before someone looks at your genitals.

You may be having a reaction to a soap or washing powder, a latex or lubricant allergy if you are using condoms and have changed brand, a reaction to a drug you are taking (over the counter or prescribed) or, especially if your partner is a woman, and she performs oral sex on you, to her lipstick.

You may even be over-washing and therefore irritating the sensitive tissue in that area, especially if you are using scented soaps. They may smell nice, but they can be extremely irritating to delicate tissue such as genital skin.

There are many things that can cause dermatological conditions and the best person to guide you this time, is your doctor, in person.

If they don’t know what it is straight away, they will probably work their way through a checklist of possibilities until they are able to give you a definitive answer – so don’t get frustrated if they can’t pinpoint the problem straight away. And, don’t be too alarmed if they suggest running a set of general sexual health checks, to rule out whether you are carrying infections such as gonorrhoea, chlamydia, HIV and syphilis whilst they are checking your general health. It’s a sensible precaution in today’s world where such infections abound. They are not judging you by offering to do this for you.

The main thing is that you shouldn’t guess. Get this diagnosed properly and know what you are dealing with.

I hope this helps.

I think I’m allergic to condoms, what should I do ?

What can I do if I’m allergic to condoms?

Hypo-allergenic (low allergy) ones are available. However, it may not be the condom but the lubricant on it that’s causing your discomfort.

· Try changing from condoms with spermicide on them – ie. nonoxynol 9 or 11 – to condoms which are lubricated only.

Dryness can make sex very uncomfortable for both partners with or without condoms.

To reduce discomfort:

· Use a lot of extra water-based lubricant in case the allergy is friction based – ie. from being too dry. 

WillyWorries Interactive Forum – is on the way back


In the years gone by, we operated three interactive environments, now commonly recognised as a forums.

We are bringing this feature back to WillyWorries.com

At present, it is not accepting posts but we will update with further information once it’s able to accept posts and replies again.

People helped each other with over 15,000 questions and answers so we are sure that this facility will be welcomed, again.

Watch this space…

The WillyWorries Team